Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I've Found the problem...

I've Found the problem...

The punchline is "loose nut behind the bars." It's accurate.

Late Classic race report because, I didn't make any tangible progress over last round, and failed to qualify for Pro Thunderbike which pissed me off. I've been struggling to get up to speed on the Buell, know I need to stay on the throttle longer, push my brake markers up, I'm giving up decades going into 1, 3, etc. But knowing that's the issue and actually doing something about it has eluded me. So I've been frustrated, and have no plan to fix it going forward, which frustrates me more. It's very easy to blame the bike, I've heard some people say things along the lines of "impressed with what you've gotten out of it already" etc. It's not the bike. Yes, it's a Buell, it's an odd setup, but...I know it's not the bike, at current pace (1:25) the bike isn't straining at all, post weekend inspection along with reviewing photos, telltales on the forks, dyno session Monday before, etc all point to the same thing: The bike is healthy, has all the motor it should have, suspension is working within it's proper range, tires are in the sweet spot temp and load wise, wear shows no signs of out of whack damping.

It clicked today riding my Pan Am to Loudon to do some demo rides. I decided a touch last minute to take a slight detour that involves a downhill hard right, no issues, just some moderate front brake and when I went to do it I could feel myself tense and for a bit refuse to actually brake hard enough for the turn. W T F?! At some point in the past couple of years I've become afraid of moderate braking?! I felt the same hold up demoing the ZX4R which had grabbier front brakes than I was anticipating. Going over last weekend's laps in my head with this additional bit of info, I can now see how I've been throttle off, early brake to avoid moderate braking anywhere on track. When I don't need much brake to setup for a corner, roll speed and drive out haven't been an issue, I can yolo it. I don't know when this fear started, I suspect it's why I had problems getting down to 'proper' pace on the 500XC W as a motard as well? Lack of repetition from the pauses in my recent history? Dunno.

Had I made a breakthrough at the Classic, I'd be working on trying to figure out how to pull off Mid Ohio in hopes of qualifying there at a track that shouldn't be all about HP only. Instead, I've decided I've pushed things past their logical conclusion, and I'm still in the black budget wise, it's time to turn the lights off in the garage.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: I've Found the problem...

Frustrating as it is. I have found over the years that the more you try to go fast the slower you go. Some of my fastest times came when I was the most tiered at the end of races. Which after thinking about it led me to relax more and not brake as hard. Let the bike run, trust the tires and be light on the bars. Did 19s on my Buell so your bike is more then up for it.
    Edit: on a side note, I found that higher gearing works better with the Buell it's a tractor ride it like one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 06-15-24 at 09:04 PM.

Sounds like you've hit a plateau.

Gotta shut off all that thinking and go back to basics on body position and good riding habits because your words read like you're heavy on the bars. Maybe that's an assumption on my part but that's what came to mind after reading this race report.

Consider some classroom time with Penguin. Their instruction has helped me tremendously and I quickly realized I was a very lazy rider back in my racing days. My bikes were set up around this laziness and I was blissfully unaware this entire time.

After some classroom sessions and going back to basics, I've had an opportunity to create a whole new approach to riding and I can say for certain it's because of the time in the classroom.

You obviously are still passionate about it so my advice is to set aside the frustration, keep the lights on and search for what you need in order to push through.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Frustrating as it is. I have found over the years........Some of my fastest times came when I was ......
    just riding and having fun

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- CRA EX #47 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

It sucks when you drop into a rut and can't find the way out. Sounds like you have an idea. Some one on one instruction may be the ticket out. I fell into a rut a few years back and it took some coaching from Mr. Heider S. Copter to get me back up to pace and comfortable there.

I mean, for braking issues, take the bike to a big parking lot and do some maximum braking drills. Start in a straight line like MSF with a brake marker. Pick a speed around 60mph and see how short you can get it to stop. Get that feeling of loading the front to the point of lifting the rear and repeat it many times. Then add in a slight curve. brake hard and then trail brake as you slowly tip in. finally set up a 100 degree corner and take runs at it braking harder and harder trail off and quick turn.

Practice makes perfect.

Paul_E_D